Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What an Amazing Day!

I was never one to want to celebrate (or acknowledge) my birthday until a few years ago when a dear friend of mind told me to honour myself and celebrate the day I entered the world, and that the world is a better place because I'm in it. One of my favorite quotes goes something like "If you're still alive, you still have a function" (that is VERY loosely paraphrased). I think this is such an amazing concept and one that I think is important to remember, to realize that so long as we're still alive and celebrating our birthdays, it means we still have more to accomplish in the world.

My day was an amazing one! It started off with a great presentation and socializing with a delegation of Governors from China. I took a moment at lunch to breathe it all in and thought "Wow - I'm beginning the next year of my life by sitting at a table with officials from China, sharing a meal with them...I bet this will never happen again!"

My day progressed with many calls, texts, emails, facebook messages wishing me a happy and wonderful day, a voicemail from Justin singing me Happy Birthday. And then I went to pick up a gift he had arranged. It was glorious - I walked into the store and all the employees smiled and giggled with excitement when I told them my name and said there was something for me to pick up. It was a great gift - a huge bouquet of beautiful pink lillies and a number of large foil balloons. I'm tellin' ya - I walked those 4 blocks to my car looking and feeling like an important little 6 year old - balloons swirling around me and a huge grin on my face.

Well, if today was an indication of how the rest of my year is going to go, it's going to be glorious! That said, I have a feeling the next year of my life is going to continue to bring much excitement, change, and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment